Zipper Tips for Bag-Making
I’m participating in Sam Hunter’s Design Studio’s Back to School Blog Hop, and today’s topic is zippers, which I’ve covered previously in How to Insert a Zippered Pocket and How to Make a Recessed Zipper. I usually insert a zipper without pins because pins can make a zipper wavy. Stitch Witchery or a glue stick are great to temporarily hold a zipper in placket.
Can you add a zipper to a tote bag?
To add a zipper to a purchased or finished tote, baste one side to the bag and sew to within a half inch of the side seam. To sew the other side of the zipper, first attach it to the sewn side.
How do you install a zipper that is too long?
Reduce the length of a closed bottom or separating zipper.
- Mark the desired length of the zipper on the tape.
- Remove the teeth for 1 inch above the mark.
- Add new top stops with needle-nose pliers after removing the teeth by any method.
- Measure the zipper’s length.
- Cut off the excess (I use paper-cutting scissors).
How do you make a secret pocket?
How to Create a Simple Hidden Pocket
- Step 1: Turn the garment inside out and place a scrap piece of material behind the existing hip pocket.
- Step 2: Trace the Outline of the Pocket onto the scrap material.
- Step 3: Sew the New Pocket Over the Existing Hip Pocket.
How do you put a zipper back on a bag with a fork?
An anonymous person can be seen in the 14-second video placing a zipper that has come off a coat onto the end of two middle prongs of a fork, then positioning the bottom of the teeth with the zipper on the fork, and gently easing it all the way through.
How do I put a zipper on an existing pocket?
Split the zipper into two pieces and open the pants pocket as wide as it will go. Place one piece of the zipper on the pants, extending 1/2 inch past where the pocket opening begins.
How do you sew a bag with sides and bottoms?
Sewing a Bag with Sides and a Bottom: Steps
- Step 1: Pick your fabric.
- Step 2: Cut your fabric.
- Step 3: Sew the faces to the sides.
- Step 4: Sew the lining together.
- Step 5: Sew the straps.
- Step 6: Sew the lining to the fabric.
- Step 7: Sew the lining to the fabric.