How to Raise a Neckline
Fix a low cut neckline on a prom dress or any formal dress with this simple sewing tutorial. If you don’t want to remove any fabric from the dress or lining, you can find matching or coordinating fabric for added support.
With a 1/2u2033 seam allowance, cut the fabric to the shape and size of the neckline. Hand sew the inset piece to the dress’s lining. Sew the edge of the new neckline to the original neckline so nothing pulls open or out.
Raise a Neckline of a Dress
Heather shows you how to raise a dress’s neckline with pleats and a v-neck in this more detailed tutorial. If you make something with this technique, please share it on social media with the hashtag #heatherhandmade.
What to do with a dress that is too low cut?
A camisole is one of the most popular choices for wearing under a plunging neckline; many women prefer to cover their bra or breasts with a simple tank top, and some even wear a camisole with a built-in shelf bra instead of a bra.
How do you fix a low cleavage on a dress?
Cleavage Coverage in Low-Cut Outfits: 12 Options
- A modesty panel insert, also known as a snap-on bra overly, snaps to the front of the bra straps.
- Cleavage Cover Bra.
- High Neck Bralette.
- Square Neck Lace Crop Top.
- Tank Top.
- Cami Bra.
How do I keep my plunging neckline in place?
How Do Plunging Necklines Stay In Place?
- Top tip: Stand in front of a mirror.
- Top tip: Dresses like this almost always require built-in cups or shaping.
- Top tip: To achieve the same look, attach gel petals and use tape to hold the bust in place by running the tape horizontally and vertically across the bust.
What do you wear under low cut armholes?
The side of the breast and body are the parts of the body exposed the most by a low cut armhole top, so wearing a bandeau or tube top is ideal! You can wear a bandeau bra made of pretty lace or a stylish design, or you can use a tube top to cover up a basic bra.
How do you safety pin a low cut dress?
You can do it if I can do it!
- Step 1: Put on your dress and pin the top together just a smidge below where you’d like it to fall.
- Step 2: Leave the safety pin in your dress.
- Step 3: STILL leave the safety pin in your dress.
How do you make a revealing dress more modest?
All you have to do is wear a pair of spandex shorts underneath your dress to keep you from revealing too much when you sit down or if the wind lifts up your skirt. However, make sure it doesn’t show underneath the dress by choosing a more natural or neutral color.
How can I improve my neckline?
To raise the neckline, take your front bodice piece and a blank piece of paper and glue them together, aligning the center fold of the front pattern piece with the side of your paper. Mark a point 1-2 inches above the original top center, depending on how high you want the neckline.