Super Fast & Super Cute: Kitchen Towels with Ribbon and Fabric Borders
We started with store-bought towels and added fabric and ribbon strips to create a beautiful band along the bottom, using only one 2u00bd x 22u2033 fabric strip and two ribbons per towel. Pre-wash your towels, fabric strips, and ribbons before beginning.
Sewing Tools You Need
You’ll need 1 solid color, store-bought dish towel, 1 yard of ribbon, and 2 different types of thread (we used Polka Dots in Dark Orchid with White and Mint with White from The Ribbon Retreat).
Measure the width of your own towel and add 2u2033. Cut one narrow length of ribbon and one wide end of ribbon to match your strip length (22u2033 in samples). Press your towels flat and remove all tags. Stitch a vertical seam as close to the edge as possible, through all layers, to secure the ribbons and the strip.
How do you put a hanging loop on a towel?
Towel Hanging Loops that are Simple to Sew u2013 Machine Method
- Mark where you want your loop to go.
- Measure out about 3u2032u2032 (7.6 cm) of tape.
- Undo the seam along the seam where you want to insert your loop.
- Tuck the tape under the seam.
- Sew with a regular straight stitch over the area.
Can you sew ribbon on fabric?
Two pieces of ribbon can be tacked to the fabric to create ends that can be tied into a bow, or a piece of ribbon can be sewn to fabric in a design to embellish the fabric; the ribbon can be stitched by hand or by machine for larger projects.
Why do kitchen towels have a loop?
Each towel comes with a pre-made hanging loop, allowing you to easily hang them on a hook instead of a handle or holder if you prefer.
How do I keep my towels from falling off the hook?
If the hook is smooth, it must be bent upwards to ensure that a small portion of the towel is on the inner side of the bend, preventing the towel from slipping off.
How do you sew the edges of a towel?
Before you begin to hem, trim any fraying that has already occurred, as the frayed threads get tangled in the sewing machine.
- Turn the towel’s edge in 1/4 inch.
- Pin the fold in place.
- Stitch a zig-zag stitch along the fold.
- Clip the threads once the hemming is finished.
How do you attach ribbon to fabric without sewing?
Fusible Tape No. 1
- Find the fusible tape’s adhesive side.
- Place the sticky side between the fabrics you want to attach.
- Now take your traditional cloth iron and heat it up to medium.
- Press it over the fusible tape until the sticky components melt and adhere to the fabrics.
Are ribbon machines washable?
Hand wash u2013 If you see this symbol on the ribbon packaging, it means you should not wash it in a washing machine.