How to Sew a Skirt Lining
This is the method I used to attach a lining to my Echino Stag Delphine Skirt; there are many different ways to make and stitch a skirt lining, but this is the one I prefer because it’s super easy and doesn’t require any hand stitching, which is a huge plus!
I’m sewing the Delphine skirt from Love at First Stitch, but you can use this tutorial to sew similar skirt designs with a waistband, side seams, and invisible zip. The Delphine skirt includes a 3cm (1 1 1/4in) hem allowance, so I’m going to use the same measurements for the lining.
Can you add a lining to a dress?
You can add lining to both unfinished and finished dresses; however, adding it before finishing the dress will usually result in cleaner edges.
How much shorter Should a skirt lining be?
If the skirt and lining are to be hemmed together, measure the hem length on the outer fabric, fold it up, and trim the lining at the fold.
How do you hem a dress with a lining?
1. With all garment seams open, zigzag stitch a quarter of an inch in from the raw edge at the bottom of the dress; trim the raw edge as close to the zigzag stitches as possible without catching the sewing thread; fold and press the hem under using a sewing gauge to measure the fold accurately.
What fabric do you use for lining a dress?
Here’s some advice: For summer clothes like flimsy dresses, skirts, and pants, choose cotton lining fabric (lawn, voile, or batiste) for cotton garments and silk lining fabric for silk garments (habotai, chiffon, satin, crepe de chine). Viscose and rayon linings are also great options.
How do I attach a skirt to a bodice lining?
Turn the bodice inside out and sew the side seams.
- Pin side seam. Grab the front and back lining at the side seam and pin right sides together.
- Sew and grade side seam. Sew side seam.
- Repeat. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the other side seam.
How do you sew a lining hem on a jacket?
Organize the lining of your jacket
- Sew lining and jacket shells together.
- On lining, leave one side seam open.
- On jacket, turn up hem and baste 1/4 in.
- Sew lining to jacket’s front edges and hem.
- Pin, then sew, jacket to lining along front and neck edges to opposite hem crease, starting at crease formed by hem fold, with jacket on top.
What is a fell stitch?
A fell (or “felling”) stitch is used to appliquu00e9 one layer of fabric (generally a folded or selvage edge) to another, and it’s quick, strong, and flexible–the piece sewn on with a fell stitch can move like a hinge, which makes it ideal for lining installation.