How to add a drawstring waist to the Scroop Henrietta Maria Dress
This technique will work on any loose, straight-cut dress, so feel free to adapt it for other garments. Finish the edges of your drawstring by heat-sealing (if they are synthetic) or tying them in tidy knots.
How do you put a drawstring waist on a dress?
If you’re making a drawstring waistband, mark your center and sew two even lines around the dress through both layers, above and below the button holes, to create a casing for the drawstring between the outer and lining layers.
How do you sew a drawstring waistband?
Creating a Drawstring
- Fold raw edges in 3/8″ (1 cm) on each end (short sides) to the wrong side, then fold in half length-wise and press.
- Fold raw edges in towards centerfold.
How do you sew an elastic waistband on a dress?
Adding an elastic casing to cinch the waist of an oversized dress saves time and effort.
- Pin the casing to the dress’s wrong side.
- Secure the edges.
- Prepare the elastic.
- Mark the waistline.
- Measure the circumference.
- Form a tube.
- Turn the tube right side out.
- Connect the unsewn ends.
How do you gather a dress at the waist without sewing?
How to Make a Gather to Cinch Your Shirts or Dresses (Using a Coin)
- Hold the coin against the outside of your top or dress.
- Open the elastic with your fingers with your other hand.
- Reach beneath your top or dress and grab the coin with your elastic (over fabric).
How do you shape a shapeless dress?
Mumu Chic: How to Give Any Dress a Shape
- Knot it. Right now, the knot is my favorite way to shorten and shape a dress because it’s simple and doesn’t require any accessories.
- Belt it. This is the classic way to shorten or add shape to a dress.
- Tie it. This is the best solution for adding a fun back detail or defining the waist without a belt.
How do you finish a drawstring?
Wrap the end of the drawstring with thread (if necessary) so that it fits inside the aglet. Add a few drops of glue to the aglet. Insert the drawstring end into the aglet.
How do you fix a dress that is too big without sewing?
5 Homemade Tailoring Techniques (Yes, Without Sewing)
- Extenders, Amazon
- $10. Have you ever slipped into last year’s favorite jeans only to realize you’ve outgrown them?
- Bobby Pins, Target
- $5. Have you ever slipped into last year’s favorite jeans only to realize you’ve outgrown them?
How do you tighten a dress around your waist?
Put on an inside-out dress with a thin belt and tighten it so it sits comfortably on the narrowest part of your waist. Take the dress you want to alter and turn it inside out. Put on an inside-out dress with a thin belt and tighten it so it sits comfortably on the narrowest part of your waist.
How do you shirring a dress?
To begin, change the stitch length on your machine to a longer settingu2014around 3-4u2014because the fabric gathers between stitch links when shirring, so a longer stitch length creates more shirring whereas a shorter stitch length creates less. Wind the bobbin by hand with the elastic thread.