The Simplest Way to Line a Bag of Any Kind
This tutorial assumes you’ve already pieced together your tote’s interior, exterior, and handles; if not, here’s a list of 60 Free Tote Bag Patterns to choose from.
Start Lining Your Bag!
Lining your bag or tote helps add strength to the bag and allows you to add pockets to the inside without visible seams from the outside. Trim your threads, gently poke out the corners of your bag, and you’re done!
How do you sew a pocket liner?
Sew Pocket Place pocket pieces right sides together and sew around all four sides, leaving a small 2″ opening along the bottom edge. Backstitch at the beginning and end of the opening and pivot at the corners.
How do you make lined feed bag totes?
- Place the feed sack on a table and turn it inside out. Sew along the bottom edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Place your hand inside the bag and flatten the bottom seam.
- Draw a line that will guide your seam from where the seam comes to a point.
How do you sew a bag with sides and bottoms?
Sewing a Bag with Sides and a Bottom: Steps
- Step 1: Pick your fabric.
- Step 2: Cut your fabric.
- Step 3: Sew the faces to the sides.
- Step 4: Sew the lining together.
- Step 5: Sew the straps.
- Step 6: Sew the lining to the fabric.
- Step 7: Sew the lining to the fabric.
How do you make a flap?
- Apply fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the upper flap piece.
- Pin the two flap pieces right sides together.
- Stitch the two pocket flaps right sides together at the indicated seam allowance (3/8u201d in our case).
How do you make a messenger bag step by step?
Sewing Instructions for the Messenger Bag Pattern
- Step 1: Cut out the bag fabric pieces.
- Step 2: Make the lining bag.
- Step 3: Make the outer bag.
- Step 4: Make the messenger bag’s flap.
- Step 5: Attach the flap to the outer bag.
- Step 6: Make a long strap for the bag.
- Step 7: Baste the strap.
How do you sew elastic pockets into a bag?
- Draft pocket piece.
- Cut pieces, place right sides facing, and sew.
- Press, fold over, and stitch elastic casing.
- Mark center on pocket and bag piece.
- Feed elastic through and secure ends.
- Gather bottom edge to match bag piece.
What is a slip pocket in pants?
These extra pieces of thread are in place to protect the garment from losing its shape while being transported or hanging on a display rack. Pockets will not sag or stretch out while being transported or hanging on a display rack.
How do you upcycle feed bags?
Feed Sacks Can Be Recycled
- Keep hay out of your clothes.
- Make a feed bucket cover.
- Make a water bucket cover.
- Protect surfaces.
- Sort and store stable blankets.
How do you make a tote bag out of dog food?
To begin, simply lay the dog food bag on the ground and determine how tall you want your tote to be. Next, cut off the top of the dog food bag, adding an extra inch or so to your height calculation, and cut two 2.5u201d strips for the handles from the remaining dog food bag.