How to Install an Elastic Waistband
Heather demonstrates a simple tip and technique for making a simple waistband and tunnel elastic. This project is suitable for all skill levels, including beginners, intermediate sewers, and even more advanced seamstresses.
OPTION 1 ENCASED:
Add a safety pin to one side of the casing and feed it through; the waist band will begin to gather as you go; just be careful not to “lose” the elastic end at the casing’s edge.
OPTION 2 OVERLAY:
Measure your elastic length, prepare the edges, and fold the garment inside out. Sew the elastic around the perimeter of the skirt and fold it over using a serger or zigzag stitch, stretching it between pinning.
How do you make an elasticated waistband?
- Cut Your Elastic to Fit. Cut your elastic to fit the part of the body it’ll be going around, following the instructions for your pattern.
- Pin the Ends Together.
- Join the Ends.
- Form a Square of Stitches.
- Divide the Elastic.
- Divide the Waistband Fabric.
- Apply the Band to the Fabric.
How do you sew a separate elastic waistband?
The How-To: Sewing Elastic Waistbands
- STEP 1: Cut a wide waistband. I like 2u2032u2032 elastic.
- STEP 2: Sew the ends together to form a ring. Line up the two short ends, right sides together, and mark the center point.
- STEP 3: Edge-stitch the seam allowance.
- STEP 4: Press the waistband in half.
How do I stop my elastic waist from folding?
Allow a little extra width in the casing and edgestitch the top edge of the waistband before feeding the elastic through; for some reason, the top row of stitching prevents the elastic from folding over on itself when the elastic is added.
How can I make my waist smaller?
How to make the waistbands of leggings smaller
- Cut a small slit in the interior fabric.
- Pull to desired size, then knot or sew.
- A few stitches to close the cut u2014 and you’ve got a perfect fit!
How do you make a waistband?
What is the best way to sew a waistband?
- With right sides together, fold the length of fabric in half lengthwise.
- Turn your waistband to the right side and press fold and seams.
- Cut a length of fabric that equals your waistline measurement 3cm seam allowance (1.5cm at each end), making sure to cut the fabric on the straight to avoid the fibres stretching.
How do you sew an elastic waistband by hand?
Using Wide Elastic, Make an Elastic Waistband
- Cut the elastic to your waist measurement plus 1 inch (2.5cm).
- Pin the ends together and stitch the elastic overlap.
- Really wide fabric skirts may need to be gathered slightly first.
How do you sew in elastic?
What is the best way to sew elastic to fabric?
- Pin the end of your elastic to the end of your fabric and stitch to secure, then pull the elastic tight and pin the next section of elastic to the next pin on the fabric.
How do you sew elastic on a fitted sheet?
On the wrong side of the sheet, center each piece of elastic at the bottom of each boxed corner. Stretch each end of elastic as far as it will go along the edge of the sheet. Attach the elastic to the corners of the sheet with a zig-zag stitch, keeping the elastic stretched so that it will pull in the sides.
How do I keep my pants up with a big stomach?
Suspenders or a suspenders alternative, such as PantsProp or Hikers, are the best ways to keep your pants from falling down if you have a big belly or stomach.
Why do my pants fold over at the waist?
This ‘roll-over’ can be caused by the difficult to fit proportions of a rounded tummy, but it isn’t always the case; some people find it is amplified by the size of their belt loops or the width of their belt, and they notice that some pairs of pants buckle all of the time while others don’t.
Why do my leggings roll down at the waist?
People with larger thighs can’t wear leggings based on their waist size, so they upsize, causing the leggings to roll down due to a loose fit.