Hexagon Quilts To Go And Lets Change Up The Borders
Hexagons have six sides, so how do you make a hexie quilt? Free patterns and tutorials on how to make hexagons from scratch, as well as DIY hexagon projects. If you’re already familiar with hexagons, download the free patterns for the Nesting Hexagon Quilt and the most delicious Hexagon handbag.
How do you make a hexagon quilt pattern?
A Free Tutorial on How to Make a Hexagon Quilt
- Step Two u2013 Cut the Hexagons on a Rotating Cutting Mat.
- Step Three u2013 Mark Your Hexagon Seam Dots.
- Step Four u2013 Join Hexagons to Form a Row.
- Step Five u2013 Line Up Your Hexagon Rows.
- Step Six u2013 Joining Up the Rows.
How do you finish the edge of a Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt?
To finish, sew the binding to the back of the quilt by hand with a hidden whip stitch, following the stitching line around the inside angles. For the outside points, fold a little tuck to match the other side.
What can you make with a hexagon?
13 Insanely Cool DIY Hexagon Projects
- Sewing the Back Porch Pillow.
- Quick as a Fox Block 5- Hexagon Appliquu00e9.
- Color Your Summer RAINBOW.
- DIY Hexagon Bracelet Sewing Tutorial.
- Hexagon Appliquu00e9d Tote.
- Folded Hexagon Coasters.
- Hexagon Mini Quilt.
How many 1 inch hexagons does it take to make a quilt?
If you want to make your quilt out of 1″ hexagons, each block will take about 52 hexagons, so 52 hexes x 90 blocks = 4,680 hexagons. (If you want to use tiny, 1 /2″ hexagons, you’ll need 18,720 hexagons!)
How many fat quarters are in a hexagon?
Lori of Bee in my Bonnet did the math for me and discovered that fat quarters cut into 3u2032u2032 strips yield six hexagons in one cut (Lori has great hexagon posts and tutorials here and here).
How do you make fabric Hexies?
Each hexagon (or EPP shape) is made by wrapping fabric around a paper shape, securing it in place with either stitch basting or glue basting, and then stitching the shapes together to form a new “fabric.” Hexies can be used alone to create lovely patterns and shapes such as flowers.
How do you piece a hexagon?
Hexagon piecing: laying out your design
- Arrange the hexagons in your desired pattern.
- Sew as many rows of hexagons as required.
- Sew the seam, stopping with the needle down, on top of the dot.
- Continue working your way down the row, sewing one seam at a time.