How to make a lined drawstring bag in any size
This fully lined drawstring bag is adorable and can be made in any size; it’s beautiful on the inside and out and is great for long-term use. To make your own, follow these step-by-step instructions, which should take about 10 minutes on a sewing machine.
Creative uses of drawstring bags
These lined drawstring bags are ideal for storing jewelry, candies, make-up, small toys, diaper bag essentials, art supplies, or socks, scarves, and gloves; a large one could even be used as a Christmas present bag, laundry bag, or travel bag.
Use this formula to make a lined drawstring bag in ANY size:
Cut two pieces of fabric (W*2), one wide and one tall (W*2), depending on the weight and thickness of the fabric used to make the bag (see www.fabricsauces.com for more information).
Cut two pieces of fabric into individual bags, each 15 wide x 10 tall and 1/2 tall.
Cut two pieces of fabric for the outer layer and one for the lining, each 14u2033 wide and 9u2033 tall, with each piece measuring 6″ wide x 8″ tall, for a total of 6″x8″x6″ x6″.
Sew the two rectangles together with a 3/8″ seam allowance along the 14″ edge of each seam, pressing the seam open with an iron to ensure the fabric does not crease or tear while being sewn.
Simply fold the fabric piece in half and pin along the long side and bottom of the main fabric piece, then measure 1u00bd inch from the seam and pin a 1/2 opening.
Sew from the top edge of the lining piece to the first mark with right sides together, backstitching to secure, then stopping and backstitching as you start again. Sew from the second mark to the bottom and repeat the process on the other side.
To make it easier to feed the safety pin through the casing, press the seams of the main fabric piece open.
1/2u2033 turn under the raw edges of the lining piece and pin to keep it in place.
Stabilize the top by pinning around the edge and pushing the lining to the inside of the bag.
How do you make a small lined purse?
The Easiest Way to Line Any Type of Bag
- Pin around the top of the bag, through all layers.
- Stuff the exterior of your bag into the lining.
- Tuck your straps down into the bag, and pin them in place.
How do you sew a bag with sides and bottoms?
Sewing a Bag with Sides and a Bottom: Steps
- Step 1: Pick your fabric.
- Step 2: Cut your fabric.
- Step 3: Sew the faces to the sides.
- Step 4: Sew the lining together.
- Step 5: Sew the straps.
- Step 6: Sew the lining to the fabric.
- Step 7: Sew the lining to the fabric.
How do you make fabric stiff for a bag?
Choose a heavy interfacing You can simply use a sew-in interfacing between the layers of the outer and lining fabrics to beef up the thickness, or you can find sturdy and stiff interfacings for the bottom of a bag to create a firm and stable base, which is ideal for bags that will be used for travel.
How do you make a paper pouch?
What is the best way to make a paper pouch at home?
- Step 1: Fold the sheet almost in half, leaving about one centimeter of space at the bottom.
- Step 2: Fold the edge upwards and then fold it up again to make it more secure and not unravel.
- Step 3: Turn the sheet of paper over.
How do you make a flat bottom bag?
- Step 1: Cut Fabric. Choose your bag fabric.
- Step 2: Embroidery.
- Step 3: Attach Snaps.
- Step 4: Shopping Bag Handles/Straps.
- Step 5: Attach the handles.
- Step 6: Sew the sides.
- Step 7: Make the flat bottom.