Pattern hacking Anna – How to draft & sew side slant pockets
The Anna Dress, once the most popular pattern ever, has fallen out of favor. It can be hacked into a skirt by omitting the bodice and slapping on a waistband. It works for any garment with side seams, whether it’s a skirt, dress, or trouser.
Cut out your Anna Dress skirt panels as usual, except for the skirt side front. Pin and cut a pair each of your new pocket pouch and pocket lining pieces. Trace off the pocket pouch by drawing along the entire waistline. Add a scant 10mm seam allowance, rather than the usual 5/8 or 15mm, to avoid bulky seams.
How do you put a hidden pocket in pants?
How to Create a Simple Hidden Pocket
- Step 1: Turn the garment inside out and place a scrap piece of material behind the existing hip pocket.
- Step 2: Trace the Outline of the Pocket onto the scrap material.
- Step 3: Sew the New Pocket Over the Existing Hip Pocket.
How do you make side pockets with shorts?
FREE pocket pattern piece on how to add pockets to shorts
- Press pocket away from the shorts with an iron.
- Lay front and back shorts pieces right sides together.
- Lay one piece right side out and one inside out.
- Take the right side out piece and stick it into the wrong side out piece.
What does on seam pockets mean?
Inseam pockets are pockets that are hidden in a seam of your garment and are completely enclosed by the outer layers, leaving no visible edges, stitching lines, or other details. They are commonly found on dresses, skirts, and some pants, but not exclusively.
How do you add pockets to a dress pattern?
How to make a dress with pockets
- Step 1: Choose a pocket pattern and size.
- Step 2: Determine your pocket placement.
- Step 3: Mark your pocket placement.
- Step 4: Cut out the pockets.
- Step 5: Open the side seam of your garment.
- Step 6: Stitch the pocket pieces on the side seam.
- Step 7: Press the pocket seams.
How do you sew a side seam?
- Sew the side seams together, stopping at the mark indicating the beginning of the slit.
- Trim the side seam allowance to 3/8u201d but stop 1u201d (2.5 cm) before the end of the stitch line.
- Serge or zigzag the raw edges of the side seam raw edges together to prevent fraying.
How do you put pockets in a lined skirt?
How To Make A Lined Skirt With Pockets
- Choose the Pattern and Size of Your Pocket.
- Decide Where You Want Your Pocket to Go.
- Mark Your Pocket Placement.
- Cutting Out the Pockets.
- Opening the Seam of Your Skirt.
- Attach the Pockets to the Inside Seam.
- Press the Pocket Seams.
- 5 Best Heat Press Machines For T-Shirts.
How do you make a secret pouch?
To keep this pocket hidden, the yarn, fabric, and duct tape should be the same color as the inside of your backpack.
- The first step is to measure the piece of fabric that you want to use for the project.
- Sew Down the Fabric.
- Duct Tape.
What is the little pocket on men’s jeans for?
It’s a watch pocket, designed for men who wore pocket watches and needed a safe place to store them, though, as Levi’s points out, it’s also been used for condom storage and coin hoarding over the years.