How to Make a Pillowcase (Standard Size) in 15 Minutes
Learn how to make a pillowcase for your bed out of any fabric. It’s actually quite simple, and it’s a great beginner project. Side noteu2026this project is a great beginner sewing DIY that takes about 15 minutes from start to finish u2013 not bad, right?!
What are the dimensions for other pillowcase sizes?
A queen pillowcase measures 20 x 730 inches (51cm x 76cm), while a king pillowcase measures 20 x 36 inches (52cm x 92cm).
Supplies to Make a Pillowcase
For one or two pillowcases, 1-2 yards of fabric is sufficient.
How to Make a Pillowcase
The measurements below are for a standard size pillowcase; if you want to make a queen or king-sized pillowcase, the measurements will differ slightly. See step one measurement suggestions for different pillowcase sizes below.
1. Cutting your fabric.
If you want a King or Queen-sized pillowcase, cut two identical 29.5-inch-long and 21-inch-wide pieces of fabric, which will result in a 20-inch pillowcase when finished.
2. Fold fabric, iron, pin, and sew.
Fold the fabric over 3.5 inches (on the long end) to create a seam for the outer edges. Iron the folded part and pin it to keep it in place, then sew the bottom edge of that fabric to itself.
4. Pin the pieces together and sew.
Then sew a straight line between the right sides of the two fabric pieces, aligning the cuffs you made in steps 2 and 3. Pin the remaining three sides together with straight pins and sew a straight line.
This DIY standard pillowcase project is a great beginner sewing project that takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. 1-2 yards of fabric, depending on whether you’re making one or two pillowcasessewing machine. Quick note: The measurements below are for a standard size pillowcase. Sew the bottom edge of that fabric to create a faux-cuff, similar to a french seam.
How do you make a standard size pillowcase?
Cutting your fabric. Begin by cutting two identical size pieces of fabric, each 29.5 inches long and 21 inches wide, to make a 2026 inch pillowcase. *If you wanted a Queen size pillowcase, cut two pieces of fabric that are 33.5 inches long and 21 inches wide instead.
How do you draft a pattern for a pillowcase?
How to Make a Simple Pillow Case (with Pictures)
- Step 1: Create a “Pattern” Using an existing pillowcase, measure the rectangle to determine the size of yours.
- Step 2: Cut Fabric. I cut the fabric into two pieces.
- Step 3: Pin the Fabric.
- Step 4: Sew.
- Step 5: Create the Opening Hem.
- Step 6: Pin the Panels Together.
- Step 7: Sew Around the Panels.
- Step 8: Done.
How much fabric is needed for a pillowcase?
A finished standard pillowcase should measure about 22.5 inches by 31.5 inches, allowing for fill depth, seaming, and a 4-inch hem. If the fabric is preshrunk, one yard of 45-inch-wide fabric should be enough to make one standard case.
What size is a pillowcase in CM?
With a better pillow, you can say goodnight to neck pain.
|Pillow Size||Measurements (Inches)||Measurements ( CM )|
|Standard||20 inches by 26 inches||51 CM by 56 CM|
|Queen||20 inches by 30 inches||51 CM by 76 CM|
|King||20 inches by 36 inches||51 CM by 92 CM|
|Body||20 inches by 54 inches||51 CM by 137 CM|
How much bigger should a pillowcase be than the pillow?
If you’re buying a ready-made pillowcase, choose one that’s 1/2 to 1 inch longer than the pillow length and 2 1/2 to 4 inches wider than the pillow width.
What is the first step to do before sewing a pillowcase?
In just 7 simple steps, you can sew a pillowcase.
- What you’ll need:
- Wash, dry, and iron your fabric before measuring and cutting it.
- Fold the fabrics in half to make cutting the rectangles easier.
- Fold the cuff in half, lengthwise, and iron down the fold.
- Match the raw edges of the cuff with the right side of the pillowcase body, pin, and sew with a 1/2u2032u2032 allowance.
How much fabric do I need for a king size pillowcase?
For king size pillowcases (20u2032u2032 x 40u2032u2032), 2.5 yards (2.3 meters) of fabric is needed.
What is the best fabric to make pillowcases?
The best pillowcase materials are as follows:
- Cotton is one of the most common pillowcase fabrics.
- Nylon is another common pillowcase fabric that is usually made to look like silk.
- Linen is a high-quality, natural flax product that is no longer produced in large quantities.
What is the coolest fabric for pillow cases?
The Top 5 Fabrics for Cooling Pillowcases
- SHEEX Breezy Cooling Pillowcases. OVERVIEW.
- Snuggle-Pedic Zipper Bamboo Pillow Cover. OVERVIEW.
- WonderHome Cooling Tencel Bamboo Rayon, Silky -Soft Satin Pillowcase. OVERVIEW.
- Great Bay Home Extra Soft Heather Jersey Knit (T-Shirt) Pillowcases. OVERVIEW.
- WonderHome Cooling Tencel Bamboo Rayon, Silky
What size is a housewife pillowcase?
The Oxford and the Housewife are two types of pillowcases. The Oxford has a fabric border around the edge, usually ranging from 5cm to 10cm, while the Housewife has no border and a plain sewn edge.
|Standard||50 x 75cm|
|King||50 x 90cm|
What size is a single pillow?
Sizes of Pillows
|Single Bolster||90 x 50cm 35 x 20″|
|Double Bolster||137 x 50cm 54 x 20″|
|King Size Bolster||150 x 50cm 59 x 20″|
|Super King Bolster||180 x 50cm 71 x 20″|
Do pillows come in different sizes?
Typically, pillow cases come in two sizes: standard and king. A standard pillow case measures 20-21u201d in length and 30-32u201d in width, while a king pillow case measures 36-41u201d in width and is designed to fit standard, super standard, and queen-sized beds.