How to Make a Slipcover for a Dining Chair
Easy to follow DIY sewing tutorial and free printable template for making your own dining chair slipcovers. We’ll show you how to make a slipcover with an easy-to-follow template and step-by-step guide.
DIY Slipcover for Dining Chairs
I made some simple dining chair slipcovers out of 100% cotton canvas fabric from Canvas Etc in a neutral grey color. The printable slipcover pattern (below) can be used to make your own set or altered to fit your chair.
Measuring the Chair
How to Make Slipcovers: Using the printable slipcover pattern
Sewing the Slipcover
Sew the pieces together with a u00bd seam allowance from top to bottom, forming a triangle shape at the top corners and stitching across the width to create the depth for the chair back.
Sewing the Slipcover: Attaching the Seat
How many yards of fabric do I need to cover a dining room chair?
As a general rule, 3/4 yard of 54″ wide fabric will cover two chairs, giving you two 27″ x 27″ pieces. If you have four chairs, you’ll need 1.5 yards, six chairs will require 2.25 yards, eight chair seats will require 3 yards, and so on.
Are chair covers tacky?
Chair covers aren’t tacky; it’s a matter of personal preference, and sometimes a choice between the chairs and the chair covers.
How do you cover a chair cover without wrinkles?
How to Prevent Wrinkles in Chair Covers by Hanging Them
- Grasp each chair cover by the top edge and gently shake it out.
- Place the chair cover over the drapery hanger in the same way you would a chair.
- Keep each chair cover on the hanger clean by covering it with a plastic dry-cleaner bag.
- Hang the hangers from a closet bar to store the chair covers.
What is a slipper chair?
: a short-legged, armless upholstered chair
How do you slipcover a chair as a sheet?
Using Sheets to Make Chair Covers
How can I make my slipcover fit better?
What Are the Time-Honored Methods for Keeping Slipcovers in Place?
What kind of fabric is best for dining room chairs?
Fibers are a type of material that can be
- Nylon u2013 Long-lasting, abrasion-resistant, and easy to clean.
- Acrylic u2013 Extremely durable, colorfast, and easy to clean, making it ideal for heavy-duty upholstery.
- Olefin u2013 Extremely durable, colorfast, and easy to clean, making it ideal for heavy-duty upholstery.
What kind of fabric do you use to cover dining room chairs?
Cotton alone is resistant to wear, fading, and pilling, but it is stainable and wrinkly. Cotton blends with other fibers like linen, polyester, and viscose create a much sturdier fabric.