How to Make Adjustable Straps
Making an adjustable strap may appear to be a magic rope trick, but it’s actually quite simple and makes the strap so much more useful. Lengthen to wear cross body, shorten for a shoulder strap or to hand carry. The technique also works great for instrument straps. You’ll need to determine the rings or clips for either end of the strap.
To make a strap, you’ll need the material, which can be webbing, fabric, ribbon, or anything else. For this tutorial, we used cotton webbing with a fabric accent strip on the front, which helps you distinguish between the right and wrong sides as it weaves through the hardware.
Big and Beautiful Diaper Bag
We cut a 1u00bc strip and folded back both long sides for our accent-fabric-over-webbing sample. 54″ u2013 60″ is a good starting measurement for an average adult. We recommend stitching across twice or even three times for a strong seam. You’ll see this seam from both the front and back of the strap.
How do you attach a strap adjuster?
- Work with the adjuster right side up so that the diagonal ridges on the bar are facing up.
- On the straight side, bring the strap end up through the first hole and down through the middle hole.
- Turn end under and secure with stitching.
- On the tab side, bring the strap end up through the middle hole and down through the last hole.
How do you use a slide adjuster?
Step 1: Attach the Slide Adjuster to the webbing’s long end.
- Step 2: Feed the webbing up and around the center bar of the Side Release Buckle to install the male end. Step 3: Feed the webbing back through the Slide Adjuster in the same direction as before, underneath the existing webbing.
How do you make bag straps?
A Tutorial on How to Sew Bag Straps
- Fold entire strip in half length-wise and press.
- Open again and fold outside edges towards center fold and press.
- Fold entire strip in half once more, meeting folded edges together and pressing.
How long should adjustable straps be?
Adjustable Straps (28 to 65-inch range) – Starting at $36 Adjustable straps come in a variety of lengths ranging from 28 to 65 inches; many customers prefer the 55-inch adjustable strap because its range can be quickly changed from 34 to 55 inches, making it seamless to convert your bag from shoulder to crossbody style.