How to Sew DIY Bag or Purse Straps
Follow these steps to learn how to make a cross-body bag strap. The blog post below is completely free to read, print, and sew! Just hit 0CTRLT or P on your computer to print. I sometimes add a thin strip of fusible fleece or ByAnnie’s flexible foam interfacing to the inside of my straps.
What can I use for purse straps?
I always use medium weight woven interfacing (Pellon SF101), and I sometimes add a thin strip of fusible fleece or ByAnnie’s flexible foam interfacing to the inside of my straps to give them a little more padding.
How long should a bag strap be?
What Should the Length of a Crossbody Strap Be?
|Height of a Person||Drop Length|
|5’2″ and shorter||18″|
|5’2″ – 5’8″||20″|
|5’8″ and taller||23″|
How do you attach a strap adjuster?
- Work with the adjuster right side up so that the diagonal ridges on the bar are facing up.
- On the straight side, bring the strap end up through the first hole and down through the middle hole.
- Turn end under and secure with stitching.
- On the tab side, bring the strap end up through the middle hole and down through the last hole.
How do you make a strap for a purse?
A Tutorial on How to Sew Bag Straps
- Fold entire strip in half length-wise and press.
- Open again and fold outside edges towards center fold and press.
- Fold entire strip in half once more, meeting folded edges together and pressing.
What is handle drop on a purse?
B – Shoulder/ Handle/Accessory Strap Drop – Measurement of the strap(s), handle(s), or accessory strap(s) from the top of the bag (at the center) to the peak of the strap/ handle. Straps/ Handle drops less than 6 3/4″ are typically carried in the hand or on the arm.
What are bag straps made of?
Cotton, nylon, polyester, and polypropylene are common materials for webbing, and if the ends are not secured or finished in some way, the webbing will unravel.