Fleece Pocket Scarf Sewing Tutorial (Video)
This post contains affiliate links. A warm fleece pocket scarf for your neck and hands in adult, child, and toddler sizes. Also available: a 30-minute cowl neck poncho and a fleece hand muff.
Watch our step by step video!
I’ve done a lot of sewing for my girls, so it’s always fun to come up with a cute and cozy project for my little guy. This pocket scarf was super simple to make, and he loves it. It keeps his neck and hands warm and cozy.
What Is A Pocket Scarf?
A pocket scarf is a scarf with a pocket on the bottom for your hands, and they can be made with fringe, unfinished edges, and even cute appliquu00e9s. My version was inspired by Ashley from ITV’s hit show Charmed.
Fleece Pocket Scarf in Multiple Sizes
To get the measurements you’ll need for the size you want to make, use the cutting guide.
You won’t need the entire yard to make a pocket scarf, but I always buy a little extra. Solid or non-directional prints are easiest to work with.
Tips For Sewing With Fleece
Use a small zig zag stitch to prevent thread from popping/breaking when stretching fleece. Walking Foot Attachment: A walking foot attachment helps ease layers of fleece through the machine.
Fleece Pocket Scarf Sewing Tutorial
For sewing multiple layers of fleece together, I recommend using a “walking foot” attachment. Place one rectangle scarf strip on your work surface with the right side of the fabric facing up, then sandwich the pocket in between. Sew around the perimeter, leaving the space between clips open.
How do you make a fringed fleece scarf?
Scarf with Fringed Fleece
- Step 1: Cut the Fabric. Cut three pieces of fleece (one solid color and two patterned) measuring 50 inches long by 6 inches wide.
- Step 2: Layer the Fleece. Next, layer the fleece on top of each other like a sandwich.
- Step 3: Sew the Fleece.
How do you knit a diagonal pocket?
Knitting Diagonal Pockets
- Work until you reach the beginning of the pocket, ending with a wrong side row.
- Count the stitches along the row from the beginning of the diagonal shaping to the end, and then cast on this number.
How do you sew a pocket cardigan?
Making a simple cardigan pocket
- Fold and press the pocket opening.
- Stitch the pocket opening.
- Attach the pocket to the front bodice piece.
- Sew together the side seams.
- Overcast or serge the hem.
- Fold the hem seam allowance inwards.
- Stitch the hem.
How do you fix a pocket in a gown?
How to make a dress with pockets
- Step 1: Choose a pocket pattern and size.
- Step 2: Determine your pocket placement.
- Step 3: Mark your pocket placement.
- Step 4: Cut out the pockets.
- Step 5: Open the side seam of your garment.
- Step 6: Stitch the pocket pieces on the side seam.
- Step 7: Press the pocket seams.
What fabric is best for scarves?
Scarf Fabrics of the Highest Quality
- 100% polyester chiffon
How much fabric is needed for a scarf?
Cut the fabric to the desired length and width; for a medium-length scarf, use 1.5 yards (1.4 m), and for a long scarf, use 2 yards (1.8 m). The width of the fabric will depend on how full you want it to be; wrap it around your neck a few times to see how it looks with the current width.